Re: Need Some idea

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 18:13, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 06:04:18PM +0000, Dave Malcolm wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 14:52, Pouria Masoudi wrote:
> > > Hi every one,
> > > we bonoboized partially gtkmathview,a GTK widget for rendering and
> > > editing MathML markup.
> > > Well for now we have just implemented the Control and PresistFile
> > > interfaces,I would like to ask if some one have some idea about other
> > > intresting interfaces i can implement or have other nice ways of
> > > combining this components with Bonobo-aware applications.
>
> frankly I'd rather just link with gtkmathview as a library than
> trying to depend on it as a bonobo component.  I've been bitten
> badly in the past by distributions not really have the framework in
> place to manage component level dependencies.  They tended to make
> them reccomendations becuase there was no direct linkage.  Which
> made it impossible to depend on the component existing.

Yes; my gut feeling is that linking it in as a plugin is going to be the
way to go - unless someone creates an all-singing all-dancing Bonoboised
DOM implementation with GObject wrappers.  I, for one, don't want to do
the work on that (unless some nice company wants to pay me!)

> > IIRC, gtkmathview is based on GTK 1.*    Am I correct? If so then I
> > believe a GTK 2.* port of gtkmathview would be more useful to me for
> > less of your effort than a bonobo-isation.
> Really ?

BTW the Conglomerate code is very much GTK 2.* only, so I can't directly
link to GTK 1.* stuff.

> > (ii) Does Bonobo allow me to embed widgets created using GTK1.* inside a
> > container built using GTK2.* ?
>
> no.  gtk1 corresponded to bonobo1 which does not interoperate with
> bonobo2 (was this due to problems in ORBit1 ?)

That's a shame.  It would have been impressive if they could have
interoperated.

--
David Malcolm
www.conglomerate.org