Re: manually launched factory server?

Hi Ben,

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 03:58, Ben Liblit wrote:
> While debugging my Bonobo code, it's often useful to be able to launch a
> server manually rather than letting bonobo-activation-server do it.

	Sure; that should work fune.

> Right now I've got a simple GenericFactory-based server

	;-) I guess you switched to the factory - I'd recommend that, even for
singletons.

> If the server is launched behind the scenes by bonobo-activation-server,
> all works well.  But if I have manually run the server process before
> starting the client, then the client's call to
> bonobo_object_release_unref() yields a rather uninformative CORBA error:
>
>      Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'

	Rather odd; the impl. shouldn't exit or shut it's sockets until the
main-loop quits in your application, so: no idea why that would be so.

> What's going wrong here?  Why does the behavior change depending on who
> launched the server?  Is launching a server executable directly like
> this simply not allowed, or does this error suggest that am I doing
> something else wrong?

	One thing to do is to re-configure ORBit2 with --enable-debug=yes; make
clean ; make inst-lib in ORBit2/src/orb and export ORBIT2_DEBUG=traces,
and see what's happening between the two apps at that level.

	HTH,

 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot