manually launched factory server?

While debugging my Bonobo code, it's often useful to be able to launch a server manually rather than letting bonobo-activation-server do it. Right now I've got a simple GenericFactory-based server and a client that uses bonobo_get_object() to get an interface followed by bonobo_object_release_unref() to release it later.

If the server is launched behind the scenes by bonobo-activation-server, all works well. But if I have manually run the server process before starting the client, then the client's call to bonobo_object_release_unref() yields a rather uninformative CORBA error:

    Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'

The server subsequently exits, as intended, with no errors reported on its side.

What's going wrong here? Why does the behavior change depending on who launched the server? Is launching a server executable directly like this simply not allowed, or does this error suggest that am I doing something else wrong?