Re: intermediate transfer of objects

Hi Peter,

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 08:31, Peter Van Osta wrote:
> Another issue is to transfer the data from server to client while on the
> server side a process is running. When I start the acqusition process on
> the automated microscope, thre iamges in paralle need to be updated on
> the client during the process. About every 0.5 seconds an individula
> image is acquired and wiht larger intervals overview iamges are produced
> which have to be transferred to the client while the process is running.
> So, the cannot be transferred as return values, because the actual
> process will be running all the time.
> >From what I understand, the ORB can "pump" the data into an "out"
> parameter and the use Bonobo to notify the client to refresh ? The "out"
> bloc is continuously overwritten in a loop. Will this approach work ? Is
> it wise to use memcpy on the server side to copy the data over and over
> again into the "out" sequence buffer ?

	That is not the case; you recieve data only when the remote end's
method has completed, and the ORB can return the data to the client.
Relying on any other behavior even if it occured (which it can't) is out
of spec.

	Thus if you want to be able to send progressive stuff to the client;
either you have to do:

void pushBlockToClient (in ImgBlock data);

	or (somehow) poll from the client:

ImgBlock getNextBlock ();

	And then stitch the data together on the client; however that's done.

	HTH,