Re: GEP 12: Bonobo Unique Application

A Dom, 2003-04-27 às 18:39, Havoc Pennington escreveu:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 12:45:33PM +0100, Gustavo J A M Carneiro wrote:
> > A Qui, 2003-04-24 às 20:12, Havoc Pennington escreveu:
> > > Some hard parts are:
> >
> >   I think these are the easiest parts in terms of coding (and the coding
> > part isn't over), albeit difficult in terms of problem definition.
>
> Very true. ;-) Especially the arg parse and environment forwarding,
> who the heck knows how that should work in some cases.
>
> > > It'd be interesting to look at how KUniqueApplication addresses these
> > > issues.
> >
> >   I'd be interested in looking at that too.  I never new such thing even
> > existed.  Any idea what package that is in?
> >

> It's in kdelibs/kdecore/kuniqueapplication.*

	Well, just been looking at it (kdelibs 3.1.1a), and it seems that what
KUniqueApplication does is simply to take the application-specific
options (command-line options with the standard Qt and KDE options
removed) and send them to the server process.  The server (master)
process merges the received options back into the global options
(replacing the previous application-specific options), and calls some
method instructing the application that a new instance (or window)
should be created.  As far as I can tell, no environment forwarding
takes place.

	Whether this is correct or not, I don't know.  I think we should
implement this simple argv forwarding mechanism first, which Michael had
already suggested.  After this is working, we can work from there and
fix whatever needs to be fixed.

	Regards.
--
Gustavo João Alves Marques Carneiro