Re: GEP 12: Bonobo Unique Application

A Qui, 2003-04-24 ās 20:12, Havoc Pennington escreveu:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 06:18:13PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> >
> > 	http://developer.gnome.org/gep/gep-12.html
> >
> >         Comments welcome,
> >

> FWIW this seems to address the easy part of the gnome-terminal factory
> code, but not the hard parts.
>
> Some hard parts are:

  I think these are the easiest parts in terms of coding (and the coding
part isn't over), albeit difficult in terms of problem definition.

>  - the argument parsing; forwarding args in a way that makes sense
>    seems to be a total nightmare. Worse, forwarding environment
>    variables. Between gtk_init(), gnome_program_init(), popt,
>    etc. this is a real pain.

  The problem is knowing what to do, doing it can't be that hard.

>  - multiple display/screen handling, forwarding --screen for example
>    (forwarding --display is probably crack because GTK can't shut down
>    a GdkDisplay and Xlib won't let apps survive a display vanishing,
>    but you need to autodisable the app service when --display is given
>    at least). Forwarding --screen and the screen part of DISPLAY
>    should definitely happen though.

  Yeah, these higher-level problems will be addressed later, once the
basic infrastructure is defined.

>  - is the app service per-login-session?  (Not global, or per-display)

  Currently it is "per-activation-environment".  bonobo-activation
defines an activation environment (key-value pairs), and application
uniqueness is determined with respect to groups of application instances
with the same activation environment.  So, we could have it per-display,
per-host, per-language, etc..  We will need to study the best set of
environment variables to be used by default to determine uniqueness.
However, the application programmer will be able to override such
defaults, to implement whatever uniqueness logic he wishes.

> It'd be interesting to look at how KUniqueApplication addresses these
> issues.

  I'd be interested in looking at that too.  I never new such thing even
existed.  Any idea what package that is in?

  Thanks for your comments, Havoc.
  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro