Re: Bonobo Unique Application v3.1

A Qui, 2003-04-24 ās 17:53, Michael Meeks escreveu:
> >   I think people want a more runtime oriented and simple message API.
> >   For real typesafe and elegant message passing, we already have
> > CORBA. :)
>
> 	Heh ;-) I suppose so; I just read it more carefully, and I'm thinking
> that the signal emission way is ok. It would be nice if we could have a
> set of generic closures that people could register against messages -
> but then we have some nasty type safety problems; unless they register
> the argument types as well ... one thing to do is to add expansion space
> in the class vtable - and in the IDL file [ 8 methods or so in each ].

  We could have that, yes, on top of the general 'message' signal
interface:

void specific_message_handler (BonoboApplication, const CORBA_char *str,
CORBA_int i, gpointer user_data)
{
/* ... do something ...*/
}
bonobo_application_add_message_handler(app, "specific-message"
bonobo_message_ANY__STRING_INT, listWindows_handler, data);

  The closure could look at the received GValueArray and compare the
types with the ones that it is designed to handle, before invoking the
callback, so that we can indeed have type safety.  [ Could it be
possible to make a macro that creates a closure for a list of argument
types?... ]

> 	I'd also like to see the common case (of passing a set of arguments
> from argc, argv to the remote end and determining if the thing succeeded
> made much simpler - ie. so we can replace the gnome-terminal code with
> something far smaller of the order of a couple of lines.

  Ok.  I'll have to look more closely at what gnome-terminal does to
better determine the requirements for such a thing.

> 	I'd also like a hook to be able to add a 'listWindows' thing; so we can
> register a method in libbonoboui ( or perhaps we want a separate,
> aggregated BonoboUIApplication Interface) that would get a list of all
> the UIContainers we had associated with BonoboWindows - so we can start
> to do more interesting automation type tasks.

   Sure, with bonobo_application_add_message_handler we can add our own
hooks.  Are you thinking what I'm thinking?  To get 'listWindows'
automatically implemented by libbonoboui?  That would be very
interesting! :-)

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro