Re: putting bonobo into an IDL

Hi Michael,

Thank you once again for your reply. The problems you mention about
threading will not cause any problems. Putting the IOR on a shared NFS
server is also possible, so that won't pose a problem either.

Bonobo will only be active when the "client" needs to be informed about
events from the CORBA server. Most of the time this isn't done when the
acquisiton or analysis runs at high speed in "silent mode". We can have
the machine acquire about 28000 tiled images in less than 3 hours from
e.g. 96 well plates (40x mag. full well scan, incl. autofocus), this
adds up to 112000 microsocopic images in 24 hours. When acquiring an
analysing this amount of images we don't want the computer to waste any
time by sending data to a client.

The client is used in "live mode" when setting up a new protocol and
testing a protocol on the machine. In this stage the client should be
able to receive events from the server. The core "engine" of the
software just processes and quantifies "dimensions" (XYZ, time,
spectral) it gets from a "device". By adding CORBA and Bonobo to it, we
can uncouple the client/interface from the server/engine and this will
make it all more flexible.

There is more information about this work on:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pvosta/cvwww.htm

Best regards,

Peter Van Osta

Union Biometrica N.V./S.A.