Re: Bonobo-moniker problem?

Hi Jonas,

On Sat, 2002-03-02 at 16:42, Jonas Aaberg wrote:
> Thanks alot for answering so quick!

	No problem.

> >         It's a general error - it's not necessarily the same sadly.
>
> Yeah, but the probability that it is the same, is quite high I guess.

	Nope; your error is unique to your system, the general error is that it
couldn't start the named component.

> oaf-slay kills my oafd nicely.
>
> bonobo-moniker-xmldb says:
>
> $ bonobo-moniker-xmldb
> Message: Successfully registered `OAFIID:Bonobo_Moniker_xmldb_Factory'
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `BonoboObject'
>
> Bonobo-CRITICAL **: file bonobo-running-context.c: line 413
> (bonobo_running_context_auto_exit_unref): assertion `object != NULL' failed.

	Ok - you need to debug these issues - they do not occur on my system -
it looks like the bonobo-moniker-xmldb is already running by the time
you run that application. Are you sure that is the first time you ran it
after an oaf-slay ?

> And stops there forever.

	Well; it should prolly have quit here - feel free to patch it - the
generic factory should return NULL if already registered and the app
should quit in response. A patch (to me) would be appreciated.

> > and make sure that runs, also run wombat by itself and verify that runs,
>
> $ wombat
> wombat-Message: Starting wombat
> Message: Successfully registered `OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Wombat_ServerFactory'
> wombat-pas-Message: Error registering the PAS factory: not listed
> wombat-Message: main(): could not initialize Wombat service "PAS"; terminating
> $

	Ok - this is just totally broken then - assuming again this was the
first time you ran it. It looks like oafd can't find the oafinfo file
describing the factory. This is most likely because your GNOME_PATH does
not include the prefix in which you have installed evolution.

> > > Like I did with oaf and bonobo.
> > > Bonobo went to /usr/local/Libs/bonobo. Well, actually to
> > > bonobo-1.0.19 since bonbo is symlinked to bonobo-1.0.19.
> > > (ln -s /usr/local/Libs/bonobo-1.0.19 /usr/local/Libs/bonobo)
> > > (notice that I do "configure --prefix=/usr/local/bonobo" to
> > > simplify upgrades.)
> >
> >         This is almost certainly the root of your problems, you need to setup
> > GNOME_PATH to point to every prefix you use or you will get nothing that
> > works.
>
> I've never set up any GNOME_PATH, but all gnome programs except Evolution run
> well. (Yeah, I have add libraries and paths and such things manually in
> gnome-config)

	Well - setup your GNOME_PATH it should be of the order of:

	export GNOME_PATH="/usr:/usr/local"

	And then you don't have to hack gnome-config, it will 'just work'.

> > A multiple prefix setup is highly unlikely to work for Gnome
> > beginners - sorry.
>
> I've written kernel modules for some hardware, but making Evolution
> with bonobo to work beats me. ;-)

	The daemon has to be able to find the component descriptions, or
nothing will be activated.

	As for compiling software into a single image - it's significantly
easier than have a rather complex set of interlocking components that
need activating ;-)