Re: Bonobo-moniker problem?

Hi Jonas,

On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 08:24, Jonas Aaberg wrote:
> different libraries and Evolution itself I tried it and it did just say:
>
> "evolution-shell-WARNING **: Cannot access Bonobo/ConfigDatabase on
> wombat: (IDL:OAF/GeneralError:1.0)"
> and quit.
>
> I've been checking out the Evo mailing list for this error
> and I've found out that it is not really an Evo problem.

	See my post to the evolution mailing list.

> Which seems to to be about the same as for Evo.

	It's a general error - it's not necessarily the same sadly.

> So my
> guess is that something between bonobo and oaf isn't
> working correctly.

	This is a good guess.

	Can you verify that you can oaf-slay; bonobo-moniker-xmldb
and make sure that runs, also run wombat by itself and verify that runs,
most reports of your problem are packaging / linking issues on borked
systems hacked up with self built stuff. Sadly the reporting in 1.0 is
not as good as 2.0 which will tell you the problem more verbosely.

> and I nearly always installs program and libraries in a sperate
> catalog.
> Like I did with oaf and bonobo.
> Bonobo went to /usr/local/Libs/bonobo. Well, actually to
> bonobo-1.0.19 since bonbo is symlinked to bonobo-1.0.19.
> (ln -s /usr/local/Libs/bonobo-1.0.19 /usr/local/Libs/bonobo)
> (notice that I do "configure --prefix=/usr/local/bonobo" to
> simplify upgrades.)

	This is almost certainly the root of your problems, you need to setup
GNOME_PATH to point to every prefix you use or you will get nothing that
works. A multiple prefix setup is highly unlikely to work for Gnome
beginners - sorry.

> (It is a slackware 7 or 8 based system with alot of modifications.)

	Sigh.