Re: Bonobo cleanup

Le jeu 11/07/2002 à 16:36, Brian Cameron a écrit :

> There are a number of bonobo components that are not in libexec, and
> this causes some problems for the Sun release of Gnome.  Sun has strict
> rules about what should be placed in /bin, and since bonobo components
> aren't intended to be executed by the user, we would like to move them
> to libexec.  I've been talking with Michael Meeks about this issue and
> he agrees that this cleanup is a good idea.  We are happy to do the
> work to make this change.
>
> We are currently focused on these components (module name in parens):
>
>   bonobo-activation-server	(bonobo-activation - the daemon previously
>   				known as oafd)
>   eog-image-viewer		(eog)
>   ggv-postscript-viewer		(ggv)
>   CDDBSlave2			(gnome-media)
>   cddb-track-editor		(gnome-media)
>   gnome-settings-daemon		(control-center)
>   nautilus-adapter		(nautilus)
>   nautilus-content-loser	(nautilus)
>   nautilus-gtkhtml-view		(nautilus)
>   nautilus-hardware-view	(nautilus)
>   nautilus-music-view		(nautilus)
>   nautilus-sample-content-view  (nautilus)
>   nautilus-sidebar-loser	(nautilus)
>   nautilus-text-view		(nautilus)
>   nautilus-throbber		(nautilus)
>
> gnome-settings-daemon is perhaps not a good idea to change to libexec,
> though.  Even though it is a bonobo component, gnome-session starts it
> in the default session file.  However, the others should definately
> be moved.
>
> In addition, as a part of this cleanup we would like to move those
> components that are shared libraries so that they consistantly live
> in $(libdir)/bonobo.

<wearing my Mandrake GNOME maintainer hat>
I was waiting for this to happen for a long time too :))

This will fix a lot of rpmlint errors on packages which uses shlib as
bonobo components..

My only concern is about libexec (/usr/libexec) which is not defined in
FHS.. Therefore, to be fully compliant with FHS, Mandrake has changed
rpm macro %{_libexec} from %{_prefix}/libexec to %{_prefix}/lib

So, when modifying specfile, be sure to use
%{_libexec}/name_of_component)
instead of
%{_libexec}/*

otherwise, some people might have problem when generating packages
directly from tarball..

</me wearing my Mandrake GNOME maintainer hat>

--
Frédéric Crozat
MandrakeSoft