Re: libbonobo.la ?

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 11:00, Jean-Baptiste Cazier wrote:
> On Monday 05 August 2002 10:24, you wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 09:38, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > > Hi Jean,

> > > 	I think you're using an old version of gnome-db, the more recent
> > > versions have binned bonobo I think.
> >
> > no, we've removed bonobo from libgda, gnome-db still uses bonobo. The
> > problem seems to be, IMO, that he doesn't have the bonobo-devel package,
> > which is the one that contains that file.
> Thanks for your suggeestion. But Ia m
>
> Well, I am using an "old version" of gnome-db in the sense that I am using the Gnome 1 release because I do not have Gnome2
> installed on my machine as yet. But 0.2.96 is supposed to be a stable version of gnome-db.

yes, that should be changed in the web site, since the GNOME 2 version,
although still in beta stages, is much better and more stable than the
GNOME 1 version. So, please, use the 0.8.x versions.

> I have try both gnome-db and gnome-db-devel RPM package from RedHat 7-2 :
> they do not contain the libbonobo.la file and did not allow me to connect to Oracle despite compiling (successfuly) libgda with the oracle flag

you installed gnome-db from sources or from the RPM? if from the RPM, it
does not contain oracle support. For this, you have to compile libgda
from sources and pass the --with-oracle option to configure (libgda's
configure).

> Therefore I tried to compile gnome-db from the tar ball :
>  gnome-db-0.2.96.tar.gz. . . . . . Mar  2  22:04  996KB
> Which 'make' crashes with the missing libbonobo.la
> while I have the 2 bonobo RPM packages installed :
> bonobo-devel-1.0.7-2
> bonobo-1.0.7-2
>
> So, do you have any other suggestion for what is wrong ?
> Shall I go back to a VERY old bonobo package (0.13) to get the .la files ?

I'm really confused, since libbonobo.la is not hard-coded anywhere in
the libgda/gnome-db sources/makefiles. They just use the corresponding
'gnome-config --cflags --libs bonobo' to get the compiler and linker
flags. What 'gnome-config --cflags --libs bonobo' tells you on your
system?

cheers