Re: ORBit2 versus hanging method calls

On Thu, 2001-10-11 at 17:57, Ross Golder wrote:
> What version of ORBit are you using?

0.5.8, though as I said, I'm 99% sure this isn't really a "bug" per se.

> This sounds similar to my scenario, except in step 3, B returns
> immediately after printing a simple message. In step 4, does process A
> get stuck in an infinite loop (and run up 100% CPU), or does it wait
> happily?

We're talking about two different things.

<only-sort-of-knows-what-he's-talking-about> The problem I'm talking
about is just something that comes out of the design of ORBit: since we
need to get return values and out parameters from the method we call,
the stub function needs to wait for a response from the other component.
However, if the other component crashes or hangs, it never sends that
response. This would be OK except as far as I know there's no mechanism
in ORBit1 to detect this condition and bail out, so the calling
component waits forever.... right? </>

Peter

--
Peter Williams     peter newton cx / peterw ximian com

"Why should I have to change my name? He's the one who
sucks!"                              -- Michael Bolton