Re: ORBit2 versus hanging method calls

On Thu, 2001-10-11 at 22:36, Peter Williams wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> 	I was wondering something about whether ORBit2 fixes a bug (well, more
> like a general problem) in ORBit1 that seems to me to be a really major
> issue.
>
> 	In ORBit 1, the following scenario can happen with unpleasant
> regularity:
>
> 	1. Component A activates or finds Component B
> 	2. A calls method Foo() on B
> 	3. B crashes or hangs inside impl_Foo()
> 	4. A hangs forever (inside giop_main_message_next_2 or whatever it is)
> waiting for a response from B.
>
> 	Is there anything in ORBit2 that will add a timeout or something
> similar to prevent this?
>
> 	Peter

What version of ORBit are you using?

This sounds similar to my scenario, except in step 3, B returns
immediately after printing a simple message. In step 4, does process A
get stuck in an infinite loop (and run up 100% CPU), or does it wait
happily?

I haven't found out a definitive cause or solution yet.

--
Ross