Re: bonobo-activation bug ...

On 29Nov2001 09:10PM (-0500), Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Maciej,
>
> 	Ok - so it seems to fix this at all properly is extremely
> non-trivial, and a hack around it is utterly evil; to replicate the
> problem simply:
>
> 	g_idle_add (some_handler_that_does_bonobo_activation_work);
> 	bonobo_activation_do_some_query ();
>
> 	And watch 2+ servers arrive; and confuse everything.
>
> 	I can fix this - but it will result in a large scale re-work of
> bonobo-activation; and I'm not prepared to do this;

I'll try to look into it soon.

My plan for dealing with this problem generally was to detect when the
inferior main loop in server_by_forking is running inside another one
that is trying to activate the same server, and if so, continue the
original activation somehow instead of firing off a whole new server,
and return the same server object both times. This will also address
the race condition with multiple component servers getting activated
sometimes as well.

The changes should be mostly localized to server_by_forking I think.

 - Maciej