Re: Bonobo Clipboard, try #1

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Dietmar Maurer wrote:

> ERDI Gergo wrote:
>
> > What about Storages? Well, if your component can only store itself fully
> > in a storage, it should serialize this storage into an EFS stream -- this
> > should be implemented in the libbonobo storage providers I think (i.e. a
> > Storage implementation should also be a PersistStream implementation).
>
> This sounds a bit clumsy - why cant we supports real Storages?

OK, we could support storages in the clipboard server state-saving code
(nevertheless, I still think the storage implementations should implement
PersistStream, for other purposes), but there is no point in exporting
storages from the clipboard because I can't think of a way for an
application to handle the storage from another application without knowing
anything about it (a mime type is a mime type is a mime type for streams,
but a storage can contain anything). But in this case, how does the
clipboard server determine how to save the full state of the data source?
Should we assume that if PersistStorage is implemented, it is always
better to use PStorage::save () for full state saving instead of
PStream::save ()?

--
   .--= ULLA! =---------------------.   `We are not here to give users what
   \     http://cactus.rulez.org     \   they want'  -- RMS, at GUADEC 2001