Re: Bonobo UI XML

Hi Murray,

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Murray Cumming wrote:
> Unfortunately, I can't get test-ui.xml to see the std-ui.xml file, even
> though I have symlinked it, and tested the symlink by more-ing the xml
> file via the symlinked path. This is on Solaris 7. The comment at the
> top of test-ui.c seems to differ from the error message. One implies
> that ui should be symlinked to std-ui.xml, and the other implies that
> ui/std-ui.xml should be linked to std-ui.xml. I tried both.

        Sym link it into ${prefix}/share/gnome/ui/std-ui.xml

        I have a 'fix' for this to make it easier on my system, with some
UI profiling code inter-mingled, I'll clean it up and commit at some
stage.

> I had a similar problem last night with my Linux box when trying to
> build my own simple example based on the code in the BonoboWindow
> document. Is the prefix arg to bonobo_ui_util_set_ui just the path to
> dir with the file, or is it more complicated than that? Wouldn't it
> simplify development if bonobo looked in the current directory as well
> as the configure-time-determined directory.

        Read the source code for bonobo_ui_util_set_ui ... you will see
that it is relatively simple. If you are using emacs type 'make TAGS' in
bonobo/ then press M-. on bonobo_ui_util_set_ui select the bonobo/
directory, and repeat on any method you don't understand, press M-* to pop
the tag stack.

> >         See bonobo/doc/ui-handler.txt for a rational behind the new
code

> This file is in cvs but not in the distribution, because it is not
> mentioned in the Makefile.am

        That's fine, it's rather anachronistic now.

> >         There really is a substantial amount of documentation for
this, in
> > contrast to many other features. The most useful is the last
reference.

> But it needs to be organised in a more presentable way, so that people
> have somewhere to start. Yes, I will try to do this myself.

        Great - it should really be merged into a section / chapter in the
sgml manual - if you have some time to mark it up and organise it nicely ?