Re: Bonobo UI XML

Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Murray,
>
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > So, according to the API reference for BonoboWindow, "Its API mandates
> > the use of XML to specify your UI". This XML file seems to be used in
> > the example code, in the call to bonobo_ui_util_set_ui(). So where can
> > I find a description of these XML files? What DTD do they use?
>
>         See bonobo/doc/std-ui.xml for an example file
>
>         See bonobo/test/test-ui for an example application[1]

That's what I need. Sorry for not seeing it before.

Unfortunately, I can't get test-ui.xml to see the std-ui.xml file, even
though I have symlinked it, and tested the symlink by more-ing the xml
file via the symlinked path. This is on Solaris 7. The comment at the
top of test-ui.c seems to differ from the error message. One implies
that ui should be symlinked to std-ui.xml, and the other implies that
ui/std-ui.xml should be linked to std-ui.xml. I tried both.

I had a similar problem last night with my Linux box when trying to
build my own simple example based on the code in the BonoboWindow
document. Is the prefix arg to bonobo_ui_util_set_ui just the path to
dir with the file, or is it more complicated than that? Wouldn't it
simplify development if bonobo looked in the current directory as well
as the configure-time-determined directory.

>         See bonobo/doc/ui-faq.txt for frequently asked questions
>
>         See bonobo/doc/ui-handler.txt for a rational behind the new code

This file is in cvs but not in the distribution, because it is not
mentioned in the Makefile.am

>         See bonobo/doc/ui-xml.txt for a discussion of the UI handlers' XML
> description.
>
>         There really is a substantial amount of documentation for this, in
> contrast to many other features. The most useful is the last reference.

But it needs to be organised in a more presentable way, so that people
have somewhere to start. Yes, I will try to do this myself.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com