Re: Bonobo UI XML

Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Murray,
>
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I can't get test-ui.xml to see the std-ui.xml file, even
> > though I have symlinked it, and tested the symlink by more-ing the xml
> > file via the symlinked path. This is on Solaris 7. The comment at the
> > top of test-ui.c seems to differ from the error message. One implies
> > that ui should be symlinked to std-ui.xml, and the other implies that
> > ui/std-ui.xml should be linked to std-ui.xml. I tried both.
>
>         Sym link it into ${prefix}/share/gnome/ui/std-ui.xml

That's my point - it couldn't find it even when I symlinked it. See
below.

>         I have a 'fix' for this to make it easier on my system, with some
> UI profiling code inter-mingled, I'll clean it up and commit at some
> stage.

To make it search in the current directory too, or a fix for my problem?

> > I had a similar problem last night with my Linux box when trying to
> > build my own simple example based on the code in the BonoboWindow
> > document. Is the prefix arg to bonobo_ui_util_set_ui just the path to
> > dir with the file, or is it more complicated than that? Wouldn't it
> > simplify development if bonobo looked in the current directory as well
> > as the configure-time-determined directory.
>
>         Read the source code for bonobo_ui_util_set_ui ... you will see
> that it is relatively simple. If you are using emacs type 'make TAGS' in
> bonobo/ then press M-. on bonobo_ui_util_set_ui select the bonobo/
> directory, and repeat on any method you don't understand, press M-* to pop
> the tag stack.

I see from the code that the UI xml file should be in
<prefix>/.gnome/ui/. That badly needs to be documented. I don't use
emacs, but I'm quite capable of reading source code, though I don't
believe that it should be necessary.

I can't believe that I'm not just making a simple error. Here's some
output that should prove that i'm doing the right thing:

popeye:~/.gnome> cd ui
popeye:~/.gnome/ui> pwd
/home/mcumming/.gnome/

popeye:~/.gnome/ui> ln -s ~/downloads/bonobo-1.0.4/doc/std-ui.xml
std-ui.xml

popeye:~/.gnome/ui> more std-ui.xml
<Root>

<commands>
[snip]

popeye:~/.gnome/ui>cd /home/mcumming/downloads/bonobo-1.0.4/tests

popeye:~/downloads/bonobo-1.0.4/tests> ./test-ui&

[1] 2199

popeye:~/downloads/bonobo-1.0.4/tests>
String encode / decode worked
Encode to '48656c6c6f20576f726c64' and back to 'Hello World'

** WARNING **: Can't find ~/.gnome/ui/std-ui.xml, perhaps  you need to
symlink bonobo/doc/std-ui.xml there

> > >         There really is a substantial amount of documentation for
> this, in
> > > contrast to many other features. The most useful is the last
> reference.
> >
> > But it needs to be organised in a more presentable way, so that people
> > have somewhere to start. Yes, I will try to do this myself.
>
>         Great - it should really be merged into a section / chapter in the
> sgml manual - if you have some time to mark it up and organise it nicely ?

I'm just beginning, so this will take a long time.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com