Re: Installing OAF (RPM package) from source...

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Darin Adler wrote:
> On the four Eazel-maintained packages, we have things set up so that cvs
> checked-out sources compile with -Werror. We introduced the
> --enable/disable-more-warnings switch to control this. This helps us find
> out about warnings much earlier and is a big help in development.
>
> Because we don't want this to cause difficulty for those who are not
> participating actively in development, tarballs (and RPMs and such) are set
> up so that -Werror is off.
>
> If you are building from an rpm and running into -Werror behavior, it means
> that our setup is not working properly. But if you are building from cvs,
> the -Werror behavior is normal, and you will need to configure with
> --disable-more-warnings if you want to bypass this (we'd ask that instead
> you help us find and fix all the warnings if you want to work with the cvs
> sources).

Ok, I've looked deeper into it. You are right, that in the tarballs the
enable-more-warnings flag is off per default. But in the following
packages the *.spec.in files add it explicitly to the configure command
line: oaf, gnome-vfs, nautilus, medusa.

However, you mentioned, that my setup is wrong. Well, compiling oaf
with --enable-more-warnings gives me the following error:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I.. -I.. -I../liboaf -I../liboaf
-I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/opt/gnome/include -I/usr/lib/glib/include
-DVERSION=\"0.6.1\" -Wall -Wchar-subscripts -Wmissing-declarations
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith -Werror -O3
-mpentiumpro -march=pentiumpro -malign-functions=4 -funroll-loops
-fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -Wsign-promo -Wno-sign-compare
-Wp,-MD,.deps/oaf-stubs.pp -c oaf-stubs.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o oaf-stubs.lo
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
In file included from /usr/include/string.h:346,
                 from oaf-stubs.c:5:
/usr/include/bits/string2.h: In function `__strcpy_small':
/usr/include/bits/string2.h:419: warning: pointer of type `void *' used in
arithmetic
/usr/include/bits/string2.h:427: warning: pointer of type `void *' used in
arithmetic
/usr/include/bits/string2.h:432: warning: pointer of type `void *' used in
arithmetic
/usr/include/bits/string2.h:437: warning: pointer of type `void *' used in
arithmetic
/usr/include/bits/string2.h:439: warning: pointer of type `void *' used in
arithmetic
/usr/include/bits/string2.h:444: warning: pointer of type `void *' used in
arithmetic
make[2]: *** [oaf-stubs.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jens/gnome-cvs/oaf/liboaf'

So obviously it has nothing to do with oaf directly, but with my setup. My
libc version is 2.1.3 which contains /usr/include/bits/string2.h. I assume
you don't get this error, so what libc version are you using?

Regards,

 Jens