Re: Installing OAF (RPM package) from source...

on 1/25/01 1:31 AM, Jens Finke at jens eknif de wrote:

> Nice, to hear this. It's a quite annoying "feature". But I wonder why
> this is also the default behaviour of the configure script. One must
> always explicit add --disable-more-warnings to the command line. Otherwise
> the build will horribly fail (at least on SuSE Linux 6.4/7.0).
>
> AFAIK this is only neccessary with Eazel maintained packages (oaf,
> gnome-vfs, nautilus, medusa and ammonite). Are there any reasons for this
> or is it a general bug?
>
> I will look through the packages and make a patch if its desired.

On the four Eazel-maintained packages, we have things set up so that cvs
checked-out sources compile with -Werror. We introduced the
--enable/disable-more-warnings switch to control this. This helps us find
out about warnings much earlier and is a big help in development.

Because we don't want this to cause difficulty for those who are not
participating actively in development, tarballs (and RPMs and such) are set
up so that -Werror is off.

If you are building from an rpm and running into -Werror behavior, it means
that our setup is not working properly. But if you are building from cvs,
the -Werror behavior is normal, and you will need to configure with
--disable-more-warnings if you want to bypass this (we'd ask that instead
you help us find and fix all the warnings if you want to work with the cvs
sources).

    -- Darin