Re: Bonobo 0.32 released ...

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Tomasz,
>
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, [ISO-8859-2] Tomasz Koczko wrote:
> > In bonobo-idl/Makefile.am is uses
> >
> > CFLAGS = `gnome-config --cflags gnome libIDL`
> > bonobo_idl_libs = `gnome-config --libs gnome libIDL`
> >
> > I'm not check this but probably beter will be use symbols from
> > libIDL.m4:
>
>         Hmm; we prefer to use gnome-config for this, I'm intrigued as to
> how you managed to get a system with a valid ORBit version but no libIDL -
> it's a miracle.
>
>         However, I've added some checks to configure to ensure that libIDL
> is registered with gnome-config, so your build should now fail at
> configure time. I hope this fixes the issue, can you try building CVS HEAD
> ?

My configurations is slightly diffrent because all gnome stuffs I have
installed with /usr/X11R6 prefix and ORBit with /usr (because this is not
X11 stuff). Now I founf how to avoid this and all seems works correctly
found (by setting up $GNOME_LIBCONFIG_PATH to /usr) and seems all another
modifications are not neccessary (olny people like me whi have installed
all with not one prefix must remember about this; it will be good better
documment this gnome-config functionalyty). Potentialy using aclocal
macros allow to solve this kind problems in much better way. Also included
in aclocal file for libIDL macros much better detects libIDL.

IMHO using gnome-config abilities (at all) is not so good. Much better it
will be using in proper way with plain autoconf/aclocal abilities but now
it will require huge amonut modifications and probably not all developers
will see this kind thinking about this in gnome stuffs :-( For example
libtool generates .la linker scripts which is completly not usesd now,
because all functions/abilities provided by this files now are handled by
additional scripts (IMHO not using generated linker scripts means someone
not correcly understand now it can be used and was implemeted own way for
solve bringing for example required libraries list and few other).

Also using in future pkgconfig IMHO can solve all problems.
BTW. Seems current pkgconfig is *completly* broken and is unuseable.
I have patch for resurect this tool on:

ftp://ftp.pld.org.pl/people/kloczek/pkgconfig.patch

Which allow build correctly pkgconfig with system popt and glib.

kloczek
*Ludzie nie mają problemów, tylko sobie sami je stwarzają*
Tomasz Kłoczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: kloczek rudy mif pg gda pl*