Re: bonobo-media and Ogg Vorbis

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Ali Abdin wrote:

> I took some time out today to work on Ogg Vorbis support for
> bonobo-media.

Lovely. Please commit to CVS.

A note about `ratio' as in the get_positions_per_second implementation: it
is used to convert between time (with a full-seconds accuracy) and a more
(or less) exact position type that's up to the stream provider. Seek and
position notification are all using this internal-to-stream-provider
position, the ratio is only used for nice position/stream length display
(I will create a `full-featured' media player as opposed to the nice&small
Bonobo control to demostrate this).

> There is one slight thing that is missing though. We don't actually play
> any sound ;) The problem is, I'm not sure of a reliable way to output

My plan with the SMPEG player is to abandon SDL-based playback for a more
common solution (I'd go with EsounD at the moment, but I don't know what's
the future for sound in GNOME) since it supports arbitary playback
functions (you can get the raw decoded data from a callback function). So,
for the time being, I'd advise you to go with EsounD as well.

The Autoconf setup will need some work to determine which stream providers
it should build. Maybe this should be de-centralized -- is it possible to
call other `configure' scripts from a top-level script?

--
   .--= ULLA! =----------------------------.  finger cactus cactus rulez org
   \      http://cactus.rulez.org           \   for PGP public key