Re: bonobo-media and Ogg Vorbis

On 06 Jan 2001 16:47:06 +0100, ERDI Gergo wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Ali Abdin wrote:
>
> > I took some time out today to work on Ogg Vorbis support for
> > bonobo-media.
>
> Lovely. Please commit to CVS.

Done.

> A note about `ratio' as in the get_positions_per_second implementation: it
> is used to convert between time (with a full-seconds accuracy) and a more
> (or less) exact position type that's up to the stream provider. Seek and
> position notification are all using this internal-to-stream-provider
> position, the ratio is only used for nice position/stream length display
> (I will create a `full-featured' media player as opposed to the nice&small
> Bonobo control to demostrate this).

Right now you are using the bitrate as the the positions per second
right? Is it wrong to use the bitrate for this? Should I use the
size/length as done for MP3?

> > There is one slight thing that is missing though. We don't actually play
> > any sound ;) The problem is, I'm not sure of a reliable way to output
>
> My plan with the SMPEG player is to abandon SDL-based playback for a more
> common solution (I'd go with EsounD at the moment, but I don't know what's
> the future for sound in GNOME) since it supports arbitary playback
> functions (you can get the raw decoded data from a callback function). So,
> for the time being, I'd advise you to go with EsounD as well.

Does that mean you plan to abandon SMPEG? or a modified SMPEG (without
SDL)? Note: there is no sound solution being planned at all from GNOME.
Apparently nobody has the time/desire to work on it unfortunately. For
the time being, perhaps we could use libao for the output until a
solution comes up? (or you could write your own solution for
bonobo-media)

Regards,
Ali