Re: Functionality of Controls

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 urc8 rz uni-karlsruhe de wrote:
> >	Well; I think there are several possibilities, I would imagine
> >that a good place to put it is inside eog, ie. just using the Storage
> >interface to create a stream and store it on the camera if possible - how
> >does that sound ?
>
> So it is the lowest level control then. BUT: eog currently doesn't
> create entries in /menu/File. Entries that should be in /menu/View
> (like zoom options) are created in /menu/EOG. And until recently, the
> toolbar was hidden and named /toolbar/EogZoomToolbar, thus
> inaccessible to a frontend that doesn't explicitely use EOG to display
> images. Even better: "nautilus-image-view" only displays the image. No
> toolbar, no menu - what is _very_ useful to people wanting to actually
> save their images on the computer...

Well, we are about to change this behaviour of the eog-image-viewer
control, to make eog a simple shell which uses this control itself.

> What I like you to ask is to define where and to what extent controls
> should create menu entries. For example, in evolution, you use
> placeholders like <placeholder name="FileOps"/> for menu entries like
> load/save.

This is something I also discoverd. There is no standard behaviour where a
control should create menu items, and also what placeholders a general
shell should provide. We have this problem also in eog.

> Could you write a short notice about that in some doc-file? Then, the
> load/save/zoom stuff in eog or nautilus-image-view is 'officially'
> broken, and I can be sure that patches will get accepted. Plus, I can
> be sure that somebody writing a movie viewer control will implement
> those menus.

Please take a look into the current CVS version of eog. Don't use the
recently released version 0.6 if you want to work on it.

Regards,

   Jens