Re: Functionality of Controls

At Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:37:38 -0500 (EST) , Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> wrote:
>> Which control should give the user the possibility to save the file to the
>> disk (that is, creating the entries in /menu/File/)? Is it
>> 1) the highest level program (for example "moniker-test"),
>> 2) the bonobo-moniker-camera, or
>> 3) the lowest level program (in my case, EOG)?
>
>	Well; I think there are several possibilities, I would imagine
>that a good place to put it is inside eog, ie. just using the Storage
>interface to create a stream and store it on the camera if possible - how
>does that sound ?

So it is the lowest level control then. BUT: eog currently doesn't create entries in /menu/File. Entries that should be in /menu/View (like zoom options) are created in /menu/EOG. And until recently, the toolbar was hidden and named /toolbar/EogZoomToolbar, thus inaccessible to a frontend that doesn't explicitely use EOG to display images. Even better: "nautilus-image-view" only displays the image. No toolbar, no menu - what is _very_ useful to people wanting to actually save their images on the computer...

What I like you to ask is to define where and to what extent controls should create menu entries. For example, in evolution, you use placeholders like <placeholder name="FileOps"/> for menu entries like load/save.

Could you write a short notice about that in some doc-file? Then, the load/save/zoom stuff in eog or nautilus-image-view is 'officially' broken, and I can be sure that patches will get accepted. Plus, I can be sure that somebody writing a movie viewer control will implement those menus.

Thank you!

Lutz