Re: Functionality of Controls

Hi Lutz,

sorry for my delayed answer, but the last two days I've spent with
understanding the moniker/storage stuff ;-).

On 17 Feb 2001, Lutz M wrote:
> It seems that I asked my question two days too early. EOG moves into the
> right direction. What is still missing though are the save/save_as
> menus. Is this on your TODO list or should I come up with a patch?

I think a patch would be nice and should probably go into the viewer
component.

> The next thing is about your "collection". Isn't this a bit short
> sighted? I can't use it for displaying contents of a folder on a digital
> camera as
> (1) it depends on the local file system (instead of for example a
> Bonobo/Storage which you can get through a moniker like
> "camera://camera_name/")

Good point. I will remove this dumb files sequence from the collection
idl and support Bonobo/Storage instead.

> (2) it only displays images (neither movies nor mp3s nor ...)

Yes, only images. I admit that movies would be nice also (especially for
your purpose), but don't know whether mp3's are appropriate for 'Eye of
Gnome'.

> (3) it is EOG-specific (instead of being accessible through monikers,
> for example resolving a Bonobo/Storages as control).
>
> Wouldn't it be better to implement a general bonobo-file-selection for
> bonobo which looks similar to your "collection" but embraces all file
> types? Then, we wouldn't have to write a different collection for each
> application/mime-type.

But then the programmer should be able to show only a subset of
mime-types. In EoG for example it doesn't make sense to show also text-,
object- or soundfiles. This is one of the reasons why I don't use the
nautilus-file-manager component in Eog (beside speed concerns).

Regards,

  Jens