Re: bonobo-activation cache ...

On Tue, 2001-12-18 at 12:48, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Darin,
>
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Darin Adler wrote:
> > Under what circumstances does the cache need to be invalidated? For
> > example, does installation of new packages need to cause that? Or is
> > there some other strategy?
>
> 	If you install new system software, then you may need to restart
> applications that have cached bonobo-activation queries - this is typicaly
> a process that is fraught with risks anyway; if you upgrade your WM -
> restarting it is a good plan etc. etc.
>
> 	There is a technicaly easy solution to this problem - it involves
> creating a new client side interface, registering it with the server,
> adding an 'invalidate cache' method - essentialy a little bit of coding, a
> new IDL file, a new module or two, server mods etc. Whilst the technical
> issues are trivial I am not confidant that I can get a change of that
> magnitude into bonobo-activation in an ammount of time that makes it worth
> doing myself.

so this sounds like doing the same thing that gconf does - ie you need
to be running gconftool --install-makefile-rule.

i do not suggest copying this behaviour - i am not sure it will end up
doing what you want it to do.

does oafd do caching of queries?

jacob
--
"In fact, can you imagine anything more terrifying than a zombie clown?"
	-- moby