Re: bonobo-activation cache ...

On 12/18/01 9:48 AM, "Michael Meeks" <michael ximian com> wrote:

> If you install new system software, then you may need to restart
> applications that have cached bonobo-activation queries - this is typicaly
> a process that is fraught with risks anyway; if you upgrade your WM -
> restarting it is a good plan etc. etc.

You're saying that if someone downloads and installs a new Nautilus viewer,
then we need to tell that person to quit and restart Nautilus before the
viewer is going to show up in the Nautilus view menus.

Right now, you can add a new viewer, and it will show up in the view menus
right away as soon as you change locations or open a new window.

It seems OK to me to degrade Nautilus in this manner to make normal
operation faster, but lets not kid ourselves, it will degrade the experience
you get when you install a new component for Nautilus.

Your theoretical "may need to restart applications that have cached
bonobo-activation queries" doesn't convince me. Yes, it would be a mistake
to cache the result of a query, just as it would be a mistake to cache the
contents of a system directory where new items can be installed in any other
way.

Other systems, like Windows, require you to reboot after installing just
about anything. I thought the goal for Linux and Gnome was to avoid such
requirements.

Anyway, I've made the issue as clear as I can, so I'll bow out of the
discussion now unless you have specific questions for me.

    -- Darin