Re: OAF and locale

Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com> writes:
> I just noticed this problem.
>
> 1. Log in with LANG=es_MX.  OAF will get a Spanish locale.
> 2. Log in on another machine.  SSH to the machine in (1).  The shell you
> get is presumably with LANG=C
> 3. Start Evolution.  The shell bits are displayed in English, but the
> strings of the components are in Spanish -- you get a mixture of
> languages.
>
> I assume that (3) happens because while the shell is in LANG=C, the
> components it uses get launched by the OAF from (1), which is in
> LANG=es_MX.
>
> Is this a real bug, or is it a "don't do that, then"? :)

Activation should probably pass the locale from the activator to the
activatee; stuff still breaks for "singleton" components though.

What gconfd does (since it's a singleton) is store the locale for each
client and give clients stuff appropriate for their locale. I don't
see any way to solve the issue globally for singleton servers, it has
to be in the IDL for those servers somehow...

Havoc