Re: ORBit2 idl-compiler headers not installed

Michael Meeks <michael peabody ximian com> wrote:
> 	I think because the framework was overly complicated and
> substantialy unused :-) it'd be best to fold the C++ work into ORBit2
> anyway IMHO - is it your project Sam ?

Yes, I've inherited maintainership of ORBit-C++ from Phil Dawes.

> 	There's no real need for that in the idl compiler; I'm sure it can
> be ported to C with relative ease. Are you interested in doing that ? or
> do you have a URL for the latest source to hand (I'm being lazy).

I'm not sure that I understand enough of the compiler to port it myself,
but I'd be willing to try, or to help someone else do it.

The latest released source is version 0.30.2, available for download at
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/orbitcpp/orbitcpp-0.30.2.tar.gz

> 	The good news is that we can (most probably) auto-generate a good
> deal of that, since much of the ORB interface is now defined via PIDL -
> which we could just compile with the C++ IDL compiler to produce nice
> headers for the whole thing - how does that sound ?

If that can work, it sounds very sweet to me. The less code we have to
maintain by hand, the better.

But this would still be introducing a dependency on a C++ compiler to
build the C++ support as part of ORBit2. It could easily be a configure
option like --enable-c++-support or something.
--
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam topic com au    |   tSA Consulting      |