Re: Proposal of a Bonobo::Zoomable interface

Miguel de Icaza <miguel helixcode com> writes:

> This seems like it will bloat every application.  Now every
> application will have to query its components and find out what sizes
> the embedded is happy to deal with.

Well, I can understand that it may be a bit of bloat if you have many
components embedded in a compound document, but this interface really
isn't so large that it'll cause a bloat and applications which only
support compound documents can still emit the "set_zoom_level" signal
on the view rather than using the Zoomable interface.

I'd rather like to see this as an optional, but very useful and very
generic interface.

Optional means here that both the container and the control may or may
not implement it.

Hmm, maybe we should start to think about on-demand activation of interfaces
here. I mean, currently each component bonobo_object_add_interface()'s all
interfaces it wants to support (several different storage interfaces,
printing, scrolling, zooming etc.) and then the container queries it for the
ones it wants to use.

I think there should be a way to have a component only create an interface
if it's queried for it, or is this already possible ?

> When the right thing to do is to have every component support zooming
> at every resolution possible.

This is easy to say for bonobo, but it leaves the trouble to the component
developer if a component really can't support zooming for some reason.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)