Re: development questions

Hi Dietmar,

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> > Please do Not commit anything to bonobo without sending a patch to
> > me ...
>
> So I have to wait for approval to change my own code!? This
> really delays development. But maybe this is necessary in order
> to get stable code, and I don't want to complain about this.

        This really isn't a persecution issue; but more one of
scrutiny, keeping the build working for developers is important so
of course changes to keep that happening should be committed quickly but
send the patch as well.

> After the next change in libefs I made a patch and sent it to
> the list. But instead of including my patch someone at
> helixcode made some (even wrong) changes to my code,
> without sending something to the list!

        The reason is that I was on a plane and the build had been broken
for 5 hours and so Jesse sent me a patch and committed fixing the build
issue.

> Why do I write patches and send them to the list if the are simply
> ignored?

        I think you missed the point of my previous mail; keeping the
build working is very important, especialy with trivial patches, but we
want to see the patches. In this case, you had sent the patch so you
should have committed.

        Perhaps the long term solution to this is to de-couple libefs from
the Bonobo build.