Re: new UI handler code ...

Hi Darin,

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Darin Adler wrote:
> We have a lot of UI-handler-related code in Nautilus, and it has been a
> trouble spot -- difficult to get right, and it uncovered a lot of bugs
> and missing code in the old UI handler implementation.

        I've read a load of this code recently; it is quite nasty in
places.

>  Since Michael is planning to make patch for Nautilus and test it, as
> he promised when we discussed this a few weeks back

        This is rather an overstatement of what I now feel. My original
plan was to implement the compatibility layer so that you would never need
to care about the innards, and test that. However it seems this is an
impossible goal, so there will have to be code change and breakage.

> then it will be acceptable in practice too, as far as Nautilus hackers
> are concerned. Despite the fact that the new code will take time to
> shake out. If Michael wasn't going to do it, it would be a minor
> disaster for us.

        So; I am just mangling the Evolution code, which is going to cause
quite serious pain for several people here [ as yet un-comitted ]. I can't
hope to make it any easier for Nautilus, but we will see. Of course, once
the initial changes are made, it should be easy for people to polish
up. But I want to get everything switched over at least so that more minds
than mine are trying to address the many thousands of lines of UI handler
API use scattered across many many modules.

        I'll do my best for you, but can do no more.