Re: a small summary.

Hi Mathieu,

Michael Meeks already gave a great answer to your "small summary". But to
bring the whole discussion back to the core, I'd like to add some hints -
moving away from this stupid naming convention things.

To begin with, as Michael Meeks already stated, we are not talking about
supporting BONOBO in OpenOffice just to integrate OpenOffice with GNOME.
We are actually speaking about merging the APIs to build the application
specific OpenOffice APIs on top of them. This means, we are speaking
about the possibility of building OpenOffice on top of BONOBO instead of
just supporting it by a wrapper. And for sure you can see which momentum
this would give to GNOME and BONOBO.

Actually, I think this is not even enough. We have to get Mozilla into
this boat as well. Of cause we know, that will not make the whole process
easier. But, on the other hand, if WE don't do that now, all future UNIX
developers will have to suffer from it. And I can easily understand why
people are attracted by the Windows platform just for the reason of
having a single API instead of half a dozen. One thing is an unchangeable
fact: the LATER we do this merger, the LESS possible it is at all.

No to the naming conventions: I personally do not care about studly caps
or underscores. Neither do I personally care about an "X" prefix for
interfaces. Although the latter only, if there is a solution for the file
name conflicts on reference documentation generation. Such a discussion
is just a waste of time - normally.

But here we don't have a normal situation. The StarOffice API - which now
is the OpenOffice API - is already released for quite a time. And many
external programs are build on top of it - mostly legacy applications for
very special purposes like governmental administration. On the other
hand, BONOBO is not released yet to externals. The other argument is the
amount of APIs which exist: here too the handicap is on the side of
OpenOffice. If we change, we have to change much more than GNOME would
have to.

That still does not mean, we were not willing to change anything at all.
But I think, if we take half of BONOBOs interfaces, dropping our
counterparts, and exchange half the BONOBO interfaces by interfaces from
the OpenOffice API, OpenOffice still would have to change more than
BONOBO does. Of cause, the merger will not be so easy (50:50) - in some
cases we will merge interfaces, taking ideas from both sides.

BTW: I am convinced, it is pretty easy to change namespaces, a medium
thing to change interface-names and a tough thing to change method names.
So much for a comment (from Maciej I thing), if we changed the scope, it
does not matter if we changed everything.

And now to the core problem, which I mentioned before, but nobody gave
even a single comment on it. If OpenOffice went for BONOBO, every change
to BONOBO would directly affect OpenOffice - and probably again
externals. If the BONOBO community does not care about such things, we
simply cannot rely on BONOBO. This would mean, we had to keep our APIs
separate - and the UNIX community has to continue to suffer from so many
APIs (having in mind that it would only be a small step anyway - but at
least a step in the right direction).

> The main purpose of this post is to point out my growing frustration
> because of this obvious unwillingness to compromise.

Do you still think, we are not willing for a compromise? I think, even if
we took our whole naming conventions and API designs into BONOBO, it
still would be a big compromise from OpenOffice's side - just because
OpenOffice would lose control about extremely central important APIs. If
these APIs will get changed again after OpenOffice is out for a year or
so, we would be up-shit-creek!

Speaking about 400 OpenOffice developers (there are not so many): It
really does no matter if all they put their vote in here or not. The
decision is to be made, whether OpenOffice API merges with BONOBO or not.
"Not" still means, we were implementing a wrapper to integrate with
BONOBO - but a wapper is never as good as a native integration. And
future developers still had to deal with two APIs.

If I get the feeling, the GNOME/BONOBO community is supporting my vision,
I will continue to go for it and argue for it. If not, the APIs will
remain separate. Though that would be a pity!

	Michael