Re: The storage interface cleanup - incredible

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Dietmar Maurer <dietmar maurer-it com> writes:
>

> > Maybe you have to rename something, but that is all. You can use the
> > same code on the server side as before. There is no semantic change.
> > (or do I miss something?)
>
> The way the C binding works is that you have an entry point vector
> (epv) for each interface that a given interface inherits from, and a
> vector of entry point vectors (vepv) of all of these for the
> object. So splitting up an interface and creating one that inherits
> from both of the split ones requires you to rearrange that server-side
> code.

OK, I see it. It is some work. But you still have the same set of
methods with the same parameters - right.

> It may not be a semantic change, but it breaks server- and client-side
> API, ABI and IDL compatibility for sure (much as renaming a
> method would, even though that is also not a semantic change).
>
> I don't want to quibble over semantics though.
>
> It sounds like Michael and Miguel are going to approve your patch
> either way.

I think this is totally unrelated to my current patch. The current patch
fixes some serious design problems, which I consider as release critical.

Regards,

    Dietmar