Re: service stereotype thingies

Hi Elliot,

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Elliot Lee wrote:
> It seems as if all that is really needed is to use an OAF query of
> e.g.
>  "repo_ids.has_all(['IDL:Intf1:1.0','IDL:Intf2:1.0','IDL:Intf3:1.0'])"
> This is sort of a pain to use because one has to type out all the
> interfaces that a "service" is supposed to offer, instead of just
> using a single name. I am thinking it is doable to add aliases in OAF
> to turn service names into a list of interface names.

        A service offers more characterization power than oaf. Oaf can
only characterize objects that come out of factories. It can't speak about
the services provided by a moniker resolution [ although in fact resolving
a moniker against a service makes good sense to me ].

> Another way to solve this is just to make sure that each "service"
> (component, object impl, whatever) has a primary interface associated
> with it, and if an object implements that primary interface it also
> implements all the other interfaces associated with that "service". It
> seems like an interface for each service will be needed anyways in
> many cases.

        Providing a new primary interface per service ( as was suggested
earlier ) that does nothing except act as a tag you can QI for was one
solution suggested earlier, but it sounds pretty grim to me :-)