Re: The storage interface cleanup

Hi Darin,

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Darin Adler wrote:
> They could support them both, if we needed to be compatible with old
> components. But I don't see why you say they would *have* to support
> them both.

	But wait; this is the API we are publishing for people to use
during the timeframe of Gnome 1.4. A lot of people will convert software
to this API. Looking at the rather large changes that Gtk+ 2.0 introduces,
the amount of cleanup, reorganisation and just sheer grunt work that has
to go into Gnome 2.0 when do you estimate that it will ship ?

	The longer Gnome 2.0 takes, the more people use the Gnome 1.4 API,
and ( assuming we are going to be allowed time to get Gnome 2.0 right ) by
Gnome 2.0 we will have a big compatibility problem at this point.
Consequently it seems we will have the option to rush Gnome 2.0 and get a
shoddy product, or get it right and provide some sort of compatibility.

	This is why it is really important to face a small amount of pain
now in order to save serious grief later. Especialy if we are calling this
Bonobo 1.0 and encouraging people to use it everywhere.