Re: Querying oaf of the interfaces a component implements ?

Elliot Lee <sopwith redhat com> writes:

> On 15 Oct 2000, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
> > Yes. Do a query for "iid = 'OAFIID:foo:bar'" and you will get back an
> > OAF_ServerInfoList, which is an array of OAF_ServerInfo. OAF has some
> > calls to get at the values in a ServerInfo struct. Of course, the
> > accuracy of this information depends on the component author filling
> > out the repo_ids attribute accurately and including all the interfaces
> > the component implements. I've seen cases out there where this is not
> > done (for example the oafinfo files for a number of Evolution shell
> > components are missing at least "IDL:Bonobo/Unknown:1.0").
>
> The theory behind this is that repo_ids is not an exhaustive list, but a
> list of "interesting" interfaces that one would care to activate by. There
> would not be any useful purpose served by activating by the
> IDL:Bonobo/Unknown:1.0 repo ID, so it is left out of the list.

I disagree, this list should be exhaustive. There are CORBA servers
out there with associated oafinfo files that don't inherit from
Bonobo::Unknown at all, and I can think of various kinds of Bonobo
object browsers that would want to leave those out, since they can't
be memory managed in a generic way. There's really no harm to being
exhaustive, and I recommend that people make their lists complete.

 - Maciej