Re: using deprecated gnome_mime instead of gnome_vfs_mime (was file moniker patch)

> Miguel, this just reads like nonsense to me.
>
> We at Eazel are using gnome-vfs because you told us too. Now you are saying
> that bonobo should not depend on gnome-vfs, even though it needs things like
> the MIME database that are now part of gnome-vfs. You are causing big
> trouble by doing this.

Darin,

   The only thing in Bonobo that depends on the mime feature is a
moniker handler.   I do not want to add a dependency on the entire
bonobo module on gnome-vfs because of this (and because the storage
module was moved there).

> What did we do to poison gnome-vfs that you no longer want to use it?

   Nothing, but I do not want to add another dependency in bonobo,
specially as it is not even something that is part of the core.

> Are you suggesting keeping two copies of the MIME database? One in gnome-vfs
> and another where?

I am not.  But the moniker handler is barely functional, it is barely
finished, and it barely requires a dependency for a small hack like
that.  The old mime database is deprecated, perfect.  But right now
this allows me to remove a dependency.

> This is technical garbage -- perhaps you have some non-technical reason for
> doing this. I really don't understand your constant remarks that we must not
> have bonobo depend on gnome-vfs except perhaps in some sense of gnome-vfs
> being tainted because the Eazel hackers work on it.

Nope.  Just that I dont want to have more dependencies than I should.

And if anything, gnome-vfs, and bonobo will all end up in gnome-libs
2.0

> Why do you call the MIME database and MIME sniffing a trivial hack? It's a
> piece of code that's hard to get right, and we've been working on making it
> better for months.

the trivial hack is the use of it in the moniker handler.

Miguel.