Re: [GNOME VFS] - where to put bonobo module...

Joe Shaw <joe helixcode com> writes:

> > (Interestingly, the http moniker in bonobo hardcodes an IID for a
> > control and a name for a storage module neither of which are provided
> > with bonobo, meaning that the http moniker is broken as shipped unless
> > you install gtkhtml, meaning the circular dependency is still there,
> > even if it's not a build-time dependency; of course, it will also
> > gratuitously fail on a request for any interface but Stream and
> > Control so maybe it's just not done enough yet to consider these kinds
> > of issues).
>
> The hardcoded control is just temporary until some sort of user preference
> (probably using the config: moniker) is available. As for the storage
> module, yes, you would need to install gtkhtml (for now), but how else
> would you suggest it be done?

I would suggest that if the code has a dependency on gtkhtml, it
should go in gtkhtml, even if the dependency is only compile-time.

It's worth noting that gnome-vfs already has a system for component
preferences. Again, I would suggest reusing that instead of writing a
completely separate thing. It would be pretty sad if users had to do
this configuration twice to get things to work properly with all
applications.

Mere code duplication is one thing, but let's not make the users
suffer for someone's Not Invented Here syndrome.

[ snip ]

> It seems to me that it would be more correct for modules to provide their
> own monikers and storage modules (esp. with the new versioning) than
> trying to cram them into bonobo. Bonobo seems low-level enough to me that
> other things like gnome-vfs, gtkhtml, etc. should depend on it rather than
> the other way around.

A filesystem seems more fundamental to me than a component model,
though I recognize the other point of view may be valid if we were
building on top of an object-oriented operating system rather than a
file-oriented one, like Unix.

In any case, I still have no clue what to do about the gnome-vfs
storage module in Bonobo. Michael, do you want it fixed, or removed?

 - Maciej