Re: [GNOME VFS] - where to put bonobo module...

> (Interestingly, the http moniker in bonobo hardcodes an IID for a
> control and a name for a storage module neither of which are provided
> with bonobo, meaning that the http moniker is broken as shipped unless
> you install gtkhtml, meaning the circular dependency is still there,
> even if it's not a build-time dependency; of course, it will also
> gratuitously fail on a request for any interface but Stream and
> Control so maybe it's just not done enough yet to consider these kinds
> of issues).

The hardcoded control is just temporary until some sort of user preference
(probably using the config: moniker) is available. As for the storage
module, yes, you would need to install gtkhtml (for now), but how else
would you suggest it be done? If we add the storage module to bonobo, then
you're adding a libghttp dependency onto bonobo, which may not be such a
bad thing, but the libghttp dependency already exists on gtkhtml (because
of EBrowser) that it seemed to make the most sense. Either way, you're
right, it's not done enough yet.

It seems to me that it would be more correct for modules to provide their
own monikers and storage modules (esp. with the new versioning) than
trying to cram them into bonobo. Bonobo seems low-level enough to me that
other things like gnome-vfs, gtkhtml, etc. should depend on it rather than
the other way around.

Joe