Re: [GNOME VFS] Re: where to put tar storage object...

Miguel de Icaza <miguel helixcode com> writes:

> > So in summary, I am not arguing against monikers, I am arguing in
> > favor of code reuse, and suggesting that moniker implementations
> > should use gnome-vfs where appropriate. That way, when we support new
> > functionality at the virtual filesystem level, we can automatically
> > make it available to the object namespace layer.
>
> This would seem like a good idea.  But in the case of the untar
> moniker, my guess is that enough internals about the handling of this
> piece of data are required by the moniker handler to provide proper
> caching and resource reuse to just use the gnome-vfs approach.
>
> Besides, handling tar files is not really that complicated.

You could probably make that argument individually for every protocol
(http, ftp, file, etc), but it's pretty obviously a big loss in code
reuse to duplicate all of them. I'm more concerned about the trend
than any individual case.

If the gnome-vfs API lacks things that would be needed to implement
monikers effectively, it can definitely be revised, especially for the
GNOME 2 platform.

 - Maciej