Re: Oaf IDL re-structuring ...

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Michael Meeks wrote:

>         Well; as we all know, the petrol should have run out many years
> ago, but I for one, don't feel like going prospecting for new
> well-structured namespace in the outer regions of
>
>         /sodit/lets_start_fresh_here/
>
>         in 10 years time :-) The namespace is not a renewable resource,
> and I think it is wise to try and structure it with some care. Especialy
> if we are trying to be ubiquitous, we should not annoy people by using up
> /Foo, /Bazz, /GEGL and other hot root spaces. Of course, it is possible
> OAF is a special case and should set a 'bad' example, but I suspect this
> is not clever.

I can grudgingly buy this. However, we need to make sure the OMG is going
to do something about namespace pollution along with us, or it's quite
pointless. Does Miguel have a URL for that toplevel namespace registration
thing he alluded to?

I still have not done any research about an OMG contact, I apologize.

> > It should not be in the GNOME namespace because it is not part of
> > GNOME proper.
>
>         So you would be happy to have it inside the GNU/ namespace ? and
> you Maciej ? if so I can update my script. Perhaps we want
> GNU/ObjectFactory as well ? but the whole thing just seems extremely
> bizarre to my untrained mind.

Well, put it this way - if I were to name specific criteria for something
to use the GNOME namespace, one of the foremost would be use of a
GtkWidget somewhere (in other words, GUIness or desktopness involved).
It's a lot easier to justify "GNU" than "GNOME" IMHO.

-- Elliot
"The Pythagorean Theorem employed 24 words, the Lord's Prayer has 66 words,
Archimedes Principle has 67 words, the 10 Commandments have 179 words, the
Gettysburg Address had 286 words, the Declaration of Independence, 1,300 words and
finally the European Commission's regulation on the sale of cabbage: 26,911 words."