Re: Oaf IDL re-structuring ...

Hi Elliot,

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Elliot Lee wrote:
> Technically speaking, my suggestion was GNU_OAF_*, which would not be
> _as_ long...:)

        Fair enough.

> I am not objecting to just hanging off of toplevel namespaces directly
> - on the contrary, I think that is the right way to do it. The GNU::
> stuff was just a suggestion to appease Certain People who are worried
> about using up an infinite namespace. :)

        Well; as we all know, the petrol should have run out many years
ago, but I for one, don't feel like going prospecting for new
well-structured namespace in the outer regions of

        /sodit/lets_start_fresh_here/

        in 10 years time :-) The namespace is not a renewable resource,
and I think it is wise to try and structure it with some care. Especialy
if we are trying to be ubiquitous, we should not annoy people by using up
/Foo, /Bazz, /GEGL and other hot root spaces. Of course, it is possible
OAF is a special case and should set a 'bad' example, but I suspect this
is not clever.

> It should not be in the GNOME namespace because it is not part of
> GNOME proper.

        So you would be happy to have it inside the GNU/ namespace ? and
you Maciej ? if so I can update my script. Perhaps we want
GNU/ObjectFactory as well ? but the whole thing just seems extremely
bizarre to my untrained mind.