Re: Libole2.

Miguel de Icaza <miguel@helixcode.com> writes:

> > > Maybe Maciej and Miguel are right. We need some file-like way to access
> > > the raw data (e.g. gnome VFS) and the OO - moniker access.
> >
> > I agree. Maciej and Miguel are trying to solve different problems,
> > and thus Miguel's solution (monikers) is not the solution the
> > Maciej's problem.
>
> That is correct :-)
>
> And although we could force my solution for addressing the vfs issue,
> I am fully convinced that it would not only be idiotic, but would
> introduce unnecessary pain.
>
> While we can provide an "octet" view of the moniker, I am still
> convinced that they are the wrong approacfh for file managing.

The naiive user does not care or even know which of his data is a
"file" and which is some kind of sub-file object. To put it another
way, grandma doesn't care if a chart is part of a spreadsheet or a
file in itself. Or if her letter is part of an mbox or a file in
itself.

We want to blur this distinction as much as possible in nautilus. This
can best be achieved by having one abstraction that can handle the
capabilities of both monikers and URIs in the more traditional
sense. I think it's at least worth trying to come up with a design for
this.

Also, unifying similar namespaces is a well-established good design
principle in the abstract.

 - Maciej