it's scary

Hi,

I've been reading the "libole2" thread, and it's scary ...

it's scary to see what was in the beginnings a project where things must be
simple to take this directions ...

and you know what's scary ?
it's scary to see very smart people like maciej, who *work full* time in
Gnome, that have to ask ~=
"what the hell is a moniker and why do I need one ?"
leave alone the poor programmer that just have a few hours in the week to
contribute something ...

is that nobody see a problem with this ?

I don't think people want to buy M$ books to understand Gnome, it should be
simpler...

and, btw, it is my wish that gnome make more commitments to XML, (AFAIK is
only used as file formats for apps) is a nice standard and even some
companies are starting to use it as middleware (M$ included) ...
I don't know, maybe xml can solve some things without the need to introduce
new concepts every day ...

boys, if you don't change your direction, you will en up where you are
headed.

and now, some quotes:

from Raph Levien:
"One of the focusses of GNOME has been simplicity. However, as the platform
matures and there is pressure to add new features, it's growing more
complex. Bonobo, for example, is now about 100k lines of code. For something
that's supposed to be a simple component framework, that's quite a lot of
code. That's going to make it much harder for people to grok the entire
system, especially new people coming on board."

from Matthias Kalle Dalheimer:
"you have to learn a lot first, and since we are dependent on other
developers that develop things in their spare time for fun, we cannot ask
them to first study CORBA for a few months before they can write a simple
KDE application"

sergio