Wake up on IIDs

Hi,

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Elliot Lee wrote:
> > There's a problem with such identifier scheme: it needs a central
> > authority which prevents for a company named "FooSystems" in EUA and
> > "FooSystems" in France England with the same "SuperMailer" program to
> > choose the same OAFIID.
> There will be bigger problems than OAFIID conflicts if such a contrived
> case ever actually happens.

	Amen. So, I have been extremely underwhelemed by the level of
engagement by the magic number brigade. It appears no one is in favour of
it, and either way it is horribly flawed. I propose to write a document on
how to do it right, and commit to CVS.

	Furthermore, I forsee a nightmare coming, and this is perhaps we
have lost the plot. We already have a namespace that is getting crowded:

nautilus-content-loser.oafinfo
nautilus-hardware-view.oafinfo
nautilus-music-view.oafinfo
nautilus-sample-content-view.oafinfo
nautilus-sidebar-loser.oafinfo

ntl-web-browser.oafinfo

And:

evolution-calendar.oafinfo
addressbook.oafinfo
evolution-mail.oafinfo

etc.

	IMHO we have here a namespace that is getting increasingly
unstructured and crowded already. So this sucks really badly, this is
quite apart from the issue of uniqueness of unix filename [ although this
can be obviated by an explicit path ].

	So, I will now take a chunk of time and propose a more sensible
method for creating names, as part of this I will suggest an improved
organisation of the $(datadir)/oaf directory based round the encoding.
Then I hope we can move to fixing this problem fast and retrofitting the
40+ oafinfo files we already have.