Re: toolbar item widths

John Sullivan <sullivan@eazel.com> writes:

> Hi Nat,
>
> I've run into another problem trying to make a bonobo toolbar button be a
> bonobo control so that I can run code on button_press and not just
> button_clicked. My button is sized to its minimal required width, rather
> than using the width of all the other toolbar buttons. This looks
> unacceptably bad.
>
> I see that in gtk_toolbar_size_allocate, only the known toolbar child types
> are set to use the consistent dimensions. My button, having been created not
> through the standard toolbar calls, falls into the category
> GTK_TOOLBAR_CHILD_WIDGET and thus just uses the minimum width that it needs
> to hold its text and icon.
>
> Since the Bonobo toolbar widget itself is not directly accessible, I don't
> see any way to get the information needed to force my button to the correct
> standard width.
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes, you could hack around this, but it's not worth it.  We need a new
toolbar widget for Bonobo, and we're just going to keep getting bitten
in the butt until we get one.

I don't know if you have the time (I don't), but it should only take
someone a few days to hack GtkToolbar into a nice next-gen toolbar
widget.  It might even have a chance of getting into Gtk 1.4.

I initiated a short discussion about this a few weeks ago on this
list; you should be able to find it in the archives.  If you want, I
can help you come up with a list of requirements for a new toolbar
widget.

Nat