Re: gettext domain(s) and Bonobo

Hello,

I did not read the whole thread accurately (I am way too busy with the
GtkHTML stuff), but I saw this GnomeDock comment so I will throw my
Eurocent in.

    Nat> a. GnomeApp provides no way to get a handle to the GnomeDock
    Nat> which it creates when you add a docked item to the app.  The
    Nat> workaround is GNOME_DOCK_ITEM (GTK_WIDGET(toolbar)->parent).

I am not sure what you mean here, but all the dock items have a name,
and you can access them through that name after they have been added
to the dock.

When you add a toolbar to a GnomeApp, you use:

        void gnome_app_add_toolbar
               (GnomeApp *app,
                GtkToolbar *toolbar,
                const gchar *name,
                GnomeDockItemBehavior behavior,
                GnomeDockPlacement placement,
                gint band_num,
                gint band_position,
                gint offset)

While to retrieve a toolbar's GnomeDockItem you use:

        GnomeDockItem *gnome_dock_get_item_by_name
                (GnomeDock *dock, const gchar *name,
                 GnomeDockPlacement *placement_return,
                 guint *band_num_return, guint *band_position_return,
                 guint *offset_return);

The names of the default menu and toolbar (i.e. the ones that are
added by `gnome_app_set_toolbar()' and `gnome_app_set_menubar()') are
defined by the macros `GNOME_APP_MENUBAR_NAME' and
`GNOME_APP_TOOLBAR_NAME', respectively.  (Which in turn happen to be
#defined as the strings "Menubar" and "Toolbar".  This was done to
preserve backwards compatibility with the pre-GnomeDock days, in the
final rush for the 1.0 freeze.)

The only real problem I see with dynamic toolbar merging in GnomeDock
is that it does not handle hiding of a GnomeDockItem correctly, and
there is no context menu for turning specific toolbars on/off.  (And
this is more of a usability/functionality problem than an API problem
as far as I can see.)

--
Ettore